Ministry provided School Bus service is available – Please ask the office about this.
If your child is absent from school, please contact the school office between 8.30 am – 9.20 am to inform the Office Administrator of the absence and the reason. A phone call will be made to the homes of those who have not contacted the school.
You may also report your child’s absence on the HERO app.
The school Office Administrator is in attendance Monday to Friday mornings from 8.30 – 11.30 am. and in the afternoons from 1.00 – 3.15 pm. If you need to contact the school, it is helpful if you do so during these hours. Outside these hours the office is unattended and it is often difficult to field telephone or personal enquiries.
We encourage daily exercise, skill building and sports participation.
Students have many oportunites to particiapte in Interschool competitions, and fun sporting days.
We have a well equipped PE shed and facilities.
At lunchtimes students run games, leading eachother and challenging eacthother.
Netball: Tuesday Afternoons.
Basketball: Thursday during school hours.
In the advent of a civil emergency such as a severe cyclone, listen for notice of school closure on Waihi Gold FM, 96.4FM, or refer to the EVENTS page of our website at wsj.school.nz.
PURCHASING STATIONERY ITEMS
Stationery items sold by the school may be purchased in the morning from 8.30 – 9.00 am. As the office is often busy at this time, please bring the money in a named envelope with a list of the items to be purchased so the items can be given to the child later that morning in class. Correct change is much appreciated.
The Lost Property container is situated in the Sick Bay, next to the school office, and is available for parents to view at any time the school is open. If the caretaker finds clothing outside after school he usually deposits it in the nearest classroom or porch area.
Any money or valuables found are to be handed into the office and kept for three months for claims to be made.
If no claim is made the items are returned to the finder after the parent has been notified.
Should a parent have a concern about their child they should follow the steps listed below.
1. Make an appointment to talk with the classroom teacher. After school is the most appropriate time to talk with the classroom teacher when they have time to discuss the matter without distraction.
2. If the matter is unresolved, approach the Principal.
3. If still unresolved, write a letter outlining your concerns to the Principal.
4. Should you still be dissatisfied, write a letter of complaint to the Board of Trustees Chairperson.
The most convenient time to contact teachers is between 3.05 and 3.30 pm, with the exception of Monday which is the usual staff meeting day.
If a message will suffice, please give it to the Office Administrator or the person who answers the phone, as teachers are often a great distance away from the office.
Teachers should not be asked to leave their classes for phone calls unless the matter is extremely urgent.
Children are not permitted to use the telephone except in urgent cases.
CHILDREN LEAVING THE SCHOOL AT THE END OF THE DAY
Parents picking up their children at the end of the school day must be aware of how dangerous the situation could be for children.
- Parents are asked to please drive slowly and to park on the school side of Mueller Street or in the school car park on Union Street.
- Do not park in the Church driveway, as this can cause congestion and confusion where smaller children may not be seen by reversing cars.
- Please come from your car and collect your child who will be waiting INSIDE the school grounds.
- Students must not cross the road unsupervised.
- Children who walk to and from school must go straight home.
- Please do not park on the yellow lines outside the school, as this could cause one of our tamariki to be injured.